INTRODUCTION

I eat every day. I eat at restaurants, other people's houses, and at home, to name a few. There are so many good dishes out there and every once in a while I attempt them at home. Sometimes they are successful, sometimes not so much. But when I do make something I like, I want to keep the recipe in a place where I have quick access to it. So, here comes my new Food Blog. It is a place I can add recipes I like on a continuous basis and I can share these recipes with you. So, if you have a recipe that you want to share, please send it to me at 1Lauren23@gmail.com. I will cook/bake it, and if it works for me too, I will add it to my Blog. !!Welcome!! And Let's Eat.

PLEASE USE THE S E A R C H tool on the right hand side. You can search by ingredient i.e. "banana" or by course, i.e. "Breakfast".

Monday, November 01, 2021

Festive Kale Salad with Sweet Apple Cinnamon Vinaigrette and Pecan Parmesan

My 90 year old friend told me that Lara made a salad with Kale, apples, and cinnamon.  She said it was delicious.  I found this recipe in the Oh She Glows Cookbook which sounded like her salad so I tried it.  It WAS delicious.


For the Pecan Parmesan

  • ½ cup pecans, toasted 
  • 1½ tsps nutritional yeast * 
  • 1½ to 3 tsps extra-virgin olive oil (I used 2 tsps)
  • ¼ tsp salt 
For the Dressing

  • 3 Tbsps apple cider vinegar 
  • 2 Tbsps + 1 tsp fresh lemon juice (1/2 lemon) 
  • 2 Tbsps pure maple syrup 
  • ½ tsp ground cinnamon 
  • ¼ tsp fine-grain sea salt 
  • 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil or Grapeseed Oil
  • 2 Tbsps unsweetened applesauce 
  • ½ tsp minced fresh peel ginger 
To Assemble
  • 1 bunch kale, de-stemmed and leaves torn into bite-size pieces
  • 1 apple, cored and finely chopped
  • ¼ cup dried cranberries
  • ½ pomegranate arils (about ½ pomegranate) **

PREPARATION

Make the Pecan Parmesan: Preheat the oven to 300°F. Spread the pecans in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet and toast in the oven for 7 to 9 minutes, until lightly golden and fragrant. Set aside to cool for 5 minutes.

In a mini food processor, combine the toasted pecans, nutritional yeast, oil, and salt and process until crumbly and combined. Set aside.(you can also chop the pecans by hand and mix everything in a small bowl)

Make the Dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, lemon juice, maple syrup, cinnamon, salt, oil, applesauce, and ginger until combined.

To Assemble the Salad, place the kale in a large salad bowl pour on the dressing. With your hands, massage the dressing into the kale leaves until fully coated. Let stand for at least 30 minutes. The kale will soften slightly during this time.

Top the kale with apple, cranberries, and pomegranate arils. Sprinkle the Pecan Parmesan over the salad just before serving.

Recipe yields  4-6 servings

*  Look for Nutritional Yeast where you find Bobs Red Mill specialty flours

**  To seed the pomegranate easily I discovered this method on the internet:
Cut pomegranate in half around its equator.  Lay half seeds down onto your hand with fingers spread over a bowl.  Use a wooden spoon and THWACK the rind hard.  The seeds will fall out into the bowl.  Here is a Youtube video of this method which is fast and easy:  How to Seed Pomegranates   In this video Jamie also shows you how to make a delicious drink but his seeding really works.





No comments:

Post a Comment