INTRODUCTION

I eat every day. I eat at restaurants, other people's houses, and at home, to name a few. There are so many good dishes out there and every once in a while I attempt them at home. Sometimes they are successful, sometimes not so much. But when I do make something I like, I want to keep the recipe in a place where I have quick access to it. So, here comes my new Food Blog. It is a place I can add recipes I like on a continuous basis and I can share these recipes with you. So, if you have a recipe that you want to share, please send it to me at 1Lauren23@gmail.com. I will cook/bake it, and if it works for me too, I will add it to my Blog. !!Welcome!! And Let's Eat.

PLEASE USE THE S E A R C H tool on the right hand side. You can search by ingredient i.e. "banana" or by course, i.e. "Breakfast".

Monday, July 05, 2021

Maple Sweetened BANANA MUFFINS


I had bananas that needed to be used so I tried this recipe.  It is sweetened with Maple Syrup which is expensive but has a unique taste and is not as sweet tasting as sugars.  I also like the fat used is coconut oil.  Just note that when it says eggs AT ROOM TEMPERATURE to be sure it IS at room temperature.  The first time I made these I added cold eggs which began to solidify the coconut oil.  As well, use paper baking cups as apparently they may be a bit difficult to remove if you are only greasing muffin tins.  You may need to run a knife around the muffin prior to extracting.  Another thing I liked about this recipe is it is all assembled using one bowl.


Ingredients

1/3 CUP melted Coconut Oil (Or extra-virgin Olive Oil, which I have not used yet)

1/2 Cup Maple Syrup (or honey)  (I have NOT tried the honey)

2 Eggs at room temperature

(note:  To bring whole eggs to room temperature quickly, fill a small or medium bowl with warm tap water. You want the temperature to feel like a warm bath (you don't want to end up accidentally cooking the eggs). Carefully place the eggs in the water and let them sit for 5 to 10 minutes.)

1 Cup packed mashed ripe Bananas (about 3 bananas)

1/4 Cup Milk of Choice (I used 0% Fat milk)

1 Tsp Baking Soda

1 Tsp Vanilla Extrct

1/2 Tsp Salt

1/2 Tsp Cinnamon

1-3/4 cups Whole Wheat Flour

1/3 Cup Old-fashioned Oats

Sugar and Ground Almonds for sprinkling (optional)

Method:

1.  Preheat the oven to 325°C.  Grease muffin tin with butter or non-stick cooking spay or use muffin tin liner cups.

2.  In a large bowl, beat the coconut oil and maple syrup together with  whisk.  Add the eggs and beat well.  Mix the mashed bananas and milk, followed by baking soda, vanilla extract, salt and cinnamon.

3.  Add the flour and oats to the bowl and mix with a large spoon, just until combined.  If you'd like to add any additional mix-ins, like nuts, chocolate chips or dried fruit, fold them in now.  I seem always to use chocolate chips.

4.  Fill each muffin cup about 2/3rds full.  (Mine always seems to be almost totally filled, so require a bit longer baking).  Sprinkle the tops of the muffins with a small amount of Ground Almonds or Oats, or Cinnamon, if desired, followed by a light sprinkling of sugar. (I love ground almonds on mine along with a bit of sugar)

5.  Bake muffins for 22 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean.  I always lightly touch the top of the muffins and if it bounces back nicely it is done.

6.  Place the muffin tin on a cooling rack to cool.  You may need to run a butter knife along the outer edge of the muffins to loosen them from the pan if you do not use paper muffin cups.

7.  These muffins will keep at room temperature for up to 2 days or in the fridge for up to 4 days.  They keep well in a freezer-safe bag for up to 3 months.  I always freeze mine and microwave them individually for about 15 seconds.

8.  Estimated 208 Calories per Muffin.






 

No comments:

Post a Comment