INTRODUCTION

I eat every day. I eat at restaurants, other people's houses, and at home, to name a few. There are so many good dishes out there and every once in a while I attempt them at home. Sometimes they are successful, sometimes not so much. But when I do make something I like, I want to keep the recipe in a place where I have quick access to it. So, here comes my new Food Blog. It is a place I can add recipes I like on a continuous basis and I can share these recipes with you. So, if you have a recipe that you want to share, please send it to me at 1Lauren23@gmail.com. I will cook/bake it, and if it works for me too, I will add it to my Blog. !!Welcome!! And Let's Eat.

PLEASE USE THE S E A R C H tool on the right hand side. You can search by ingredient i.e. "banana" or by course, i.e. "Breakfast".

Wednesday, January 15, 2020

CAULIFLOWER WITH BROCCOLI CHEESE SAUCE


Tasty and nutritious.
This is a good make ahead side if you are having company.  You can make it the day before and just pop it in the oven while cooking the remainder of the meal.  These measurements come with the recipe, but really, if you have made a white sauce before, you can just eyeball the ingredients to suit the amount of people that will be served. This recipe could read as follows:

Put cauliflower florets into a buttered baking dish
Make white sauce and add cooked broccoli.  Blend broccoli into sauce with blender.
Add cheese to sauce.  Stir to melt.
Pour sauce over cauliflower.
Prepare buttered bread crumbs and toss with cheese and almonds.
Top cauliflower with bread crumb mixture.
Bake.

INGREDIENTS

3-1/2    TBSP Butter (unsalted) (50 g)
6-1/2    TBSP Flour  (50 g)
2-1/2     Cups Milk   (600 ml)
1           Lb. Broccoli (500 g) Cut into small pieces
2-1/2    Oz. Old Cheddar Cheese (75 g) Shredded
2           Lb. Cauliflower (1 Kg) cut into florets
1/4        Cup Bread Crumbs 
1/8 to 1/4  Sliced Almonds (optional)
1           TBSP Butter

METHOD

1.  Preheat oven to 350°F.  Butter baking dish large enough to hold cauliflower.
2.  Put cut up broccoli into a bowl with a bit of water and microwave till soft (about 2 minutes)
     Remove water and set aside.
3.  Melt butter in medium pot on medium heat on stove.
4.  Whisk in flour and cook for about a minute.  Gradually add milk whisking until smooth.
5.  Add broccoli incorporating it into sauce with a stick blender.  Stir in 1/2 of shredded cheese.  
6.  Arrange cauliflower in baking dish and top with the broccoli white sauce.
7.  Melt butter in microwave.  Toss in breadcrumbs, remaining cheese and almonds (if using).  
8.  Top cauliflower and sauce with this mixture.
9.  You can cover and refrigerate at this point and bake it the next day.  
10. Bake for 1 hour until golden and cooked through.



No comments:

Post a Comment